Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, July 20, 2007

Children's Hall

It has been raining now for about 3 weeks and I've (and Josh) gone a little bonkers in the house. Not to mention packing on the pounds with all of my cooking recently. Today I had "Had it" and was up for an adventure. Something to do on a rainy day? The options in the neighborhood can be pretty sparse and they do get old after a while. I decided to take a train trip to Tokyo to visit The Tokyo Metropolitan Children's Hall (Tokyo-to Jido Kaikan). This place was established in 1964 with the goal of improving children's health and imagination. This 5-floor building smack dab in the middle of Shibuya is a fantastic place to take the kids and fairly easy to find. Josh and I spent 2-3 hours in there and were really only able to experience 1.5 of the floors. Some activities include a wood shop room, clay and ceramics, origami land, recycled materials and ideas for fun crafts, computer corner, two indoor play areas, science area, music studio, mini theater, infant play area, library, and a playground on the roof when the weather is good. Oh yes, and here's the best part, it's absolutely free! There's no charge for any of it. This must be one of the hottest spots in Tokyo for all Moms. In the lobby there is a map and Event calendar available in English.

I have to say it was pretty fun. We don't go to Tokyo too often. When I do, I always get a little excited and make sure I look pretty good. After all, as Tokyoites might say, "I don't want to look like country folk!"

If there's any Mommies interested, check out the link to the site. The only thing that the webpage left out on the directions from Shibuya station was to leave out of the East Exit of the station. Head North down Meiji-dori about two blocks and turn right on Jido Kaikan-dori. There will be a street sign on the corner in English marking the street (Labeled Children's Hall with an arrow).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home