Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Science Geek

My brother is coming to visit.....what to do with a 17 year old boy in Japan? Well, first things first. My dear brother is a Science geek. He proudly wears this badge. While he's here, I want to take him somewhere where he can take a look at some of the most cutting edge technology Japan has to offer. Akihabara is neat but, besides shopping there isn't much to learn. I did a search online and came up with Tsukuba City and The Toshiba Technology Museum in Kawasaki. Both options seemed promising but, I had some major questions. The number one question was if we traveled all the way up to Kawasaki or Tsukuba City, would there be enough information in English to make it worth our while? Number two question being, Tsukuba City sounds promising but, what exactly in the city would I be going to see? Anyway, if someone out there in cyberspace could help me out or, point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

3 Comments:

Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

Hi Guys! I went to Tsukuba waaaay back when they had the expo there. The base had buses that took us over as a tour. I imagine that although the technology has changed drasically since then, the exhibits may still have quite a bit of English still posted throughout. An idea I had was (I'd been thinking of doing this myself when I bring my family over to visit the old base...someday) to visit the Sony corporate offices. They did a "thing" on it on tv here a while back and all the new tech toys, video games, hi-fi, wi-fi, gadgets coming out of Sony (stuff still not even out of the market) are there for everyday people to play with. Just an idea. I'm sure he'll have fun.

Wed Jul 18, 05:17:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been so can't really comment but the Panasonic Center in Tokyo might be fun, http://panasonic.co.jp/tokyo/en - they have a new museum called RiSuPia that is supposed to be 'Math & Science' (new as of last summer anyway).
Also what 17-year-old could resist the Tokyo Parasite museum? Tapeworms?
National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation, in Odaiba?
http://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/index_e.html

Wed Jul 18, 06:20:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Wow how fun to have such an educated young visitor! If he's interested in science and technology (more tech side) he might love a trip on the Shinkansen as there's so much history on these record breaking trains. I think there's that fast trip out of Odawara....

Also he might like a trip to Tokyo's Cyber Cafes! Their cyber cafes are totally different than ours in the states, really state of the art in media/technology. I think you can google that stuff...

Good luck!

Thu Jul 19, 04:01:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home